What Proof Of ID Do You Need When Applying For A Driving Licence?

Extreme Weather Driving Tips
Extreme Weather Driving Tips
3rd March 2021
Our 5 Best Theory Test Apps
Our 5 Best Theory Test Apps
30th April 2021
Show all

What Proof Of ID Do You Need When Applying For A Driving Licence?

What Proof Of ID Do You Need When Applying For A Driving Licence

Once you’ve passed your driving test, next comes the exciting task of applying for your full driving licence.

If you have a photocard provisional driving licence, your examiner will send your driving test pass certificate to the DVLA. If you have changed your name or you only have a paper provisional driving licence, you need to:

  • complete the declaration on your driving test pass certificate
  • complete a D1 ‘driving licence application’ form, which you can pick up from most Post Offices
  • provide original identity documents
  • provide a passport photograph
  • send your provisional licence and documents to the DVLA

If you live in Northern Ireland, the rules are different.

What Identity Documents Are Suitable To Send When Applying?

Passports, Travel Documents, And National Identity Cards

If you have a valid UK passport, providing the 9-digit passport number will be enough. If not, you can send any of the following documents:

Photocopies, laminated certificates and certified copies are not valid. You must send the original document with your application but do not send your passport if you need it within the next month – consider delaying your application until after you’ve travelled.

UK Birth, Adoption And Naturalisation Certificates

UK birth, adoption or a naturalisation certificate are also valid documents when sending your application, however, you must also send one of the following:

  • a National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) showing your National Insurance number
  • a photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
  • P45, P60 or payslip
  • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
  • a gender recognition certificate
  • college or university union card, education certificate or PASS proof of age card (issued after June 2014)

Valid Documents For Pensioners

If you have reached state pension age, you can send one of the following original documents:

  • a bank or building society statement showing your pension payment and National Insurance number (a recent statement within the last 3 months)
  • a BR2102, BR2103 or BR5899 letter confirming your eligibility for the State Pension

Certifying The Photo For Your Driving Licence

If you’re making a first driving licence application or renewing your driving licence you need to have the back of your photo certified (signed) by an authorised person. This could be:

  • a local business person or shopkeeper
  • a local councillor, MP, MLA, or MEP
  • a bank or building society officer
  • an established civil servant

A relative cannot certify the photo for you. For further details on who qualifies, see here.

Changing Your Name Or Gender

If you change your name or gender since your identity document or driving licence was issued, you will need to send at least one of the following:

  • your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • your decree nisi or decree absolute, along with your birth or adoption certificate, or UK certificate of naturalisation
  • a deed poll
  • a statutory declaration (available from a solicitor, magistrate or commissioner of oaths)

If you change your gender identity, you need to provide at least one of the following:

You will also need to provide the identity document or driving licence that shows your previous name or gender identity.

When Will I Get My Documents Back?

Your original identity documents will be returned by second class post within 2 weeks. Include a stamped, self-addressed special delivery or Signed For envelope with your application if you want to track when your documents are posted.

If you don’t receive your documents back after this time frame, you can contact Royal Mail. If you don’t receive your driving licence you can contact DVLA.

Olie Smith
Olie Smith
Olie Smith is a DSA Fully Approved Driving instructor with years of professional experience in driver training. Oliver set up Totally Driving to give a more bespoke, personal feel to driving lessons.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *